Have you seen a Jackson Chameleon on Maui yet?
Keep your eyes peeled while driving around the island! These gentle creatures are all around Maui. They blend in with their surroundings, but can be spotted if you know what you are looking for.
- Hydrate by drinking the dew off leaves.
- Have jousting battles with their horns against other males.
- Eyes are similar to binoculars and have optical zoom.
- Can see what’s in front of them and what’s behind them thanks to their uncanny ability to see and process two separate images at the same time.
- Tongue is usually 1½ the chameleons body length that would be like a 6-foot tale person having a tongue that’s 9-feet long.
- Tails are so muscular that they are able pull their entire body weight up just by using its tail.
- Don’t make noises louder than a hiss and don’t even use vocal sounds to communicate.
- Are able to change color thanks to specialized cells in their skin called chromatophores.
- Tongues are extraordinarily fast and only take 0.07 for the tongue to propel itself and come to full extension.
- Are bad parents! After the mother gives birth it ignores the infant chameleon and goes on with life as if nothing has changed.
- Chameleon in Latin means, “Earth lion”.
- Hands resemble mittens.
- Are terrible at hearing due to lack of hearing mechanics.